Thursday, June 9, 2011

Stampin' Up! Easter Blooms and Newsprint DSP together to create Masculine Birthday Cards

Another couple of super busy days have passed me by, with a few more to come in the following days. But, I have crafted! It's my dads 50th Birthday tomorrow! While the present was picked up today, I hadn't yet gotten around to making him a card. My dad is one of the guys that is hard to make cards for, he isn't overly fussed with motorbikes or boating, so there go my two Stampin' Up! go to stamps for masculine cards.... I used Totally Tool for his birthday last year (I think.... I can't find that card on my blog....) So, I struggled a little with ideas for him.... This is what I came up with...
Ok, so there is some non- Stampin' Up! stuff on this card.... The buck is from Grant Archival, the sentiment is from Pure Innocence, and the twine is crochet thread in natural. I cut a circle using my Circle Scissors and stamped the buck and then the branch from Easter Blooms, and the grass from Easter Blooms as well, the little girl, skipping along? Yeah, she has grass under her.... So, with my trusty Stampin' Write Marker, I picked out the grass and stamped it on the bottom of the circle. Then, with Crumbcake, Soft Suede and Early Espresso, I sponged the circle. Some torn Newsprint Designer Series Paper, Cherry Cobbler and Soft Suede card stocks all lightly sponged were layered on a Crumbcake piece, some twine was run round the bottom and tied in a knot, then I added some retired Stampin' Up! Brads in antique brass and layered it all on to an Early Espresso card base. 
I am entering this into a few challenges, the first being the ColourQ challenge, The Stampin' Royalty and Hand Stamped Sentiments Masculine challenges and the inspiration for the layout, if slightly altered came from CASE Study.
Anyway, until next time!

19 comments:

Reggirl said...

Good one Jess... I got mine done for him late this arvo & he has it now!! I like yours & yes he is hard to make cards for!!

stampinbygenny said...

Very manly card. So clever of you to use the Easter Blooms branch and grass. The Newsprint DSP is perfect. Thanks for playing at Hand Stamped Sentiments.

Shannon said...

This is a perfect masculine card! I have friends that just recently moved to Montana and would love this. Thank you for joining us at Hand Stamped Sentiments this week.

Jill said...

Love how you've used the CASE study inspiration and made such an awesome masculine card! HUGS!

Cath said...

Beautiful card, Jess! :)

Georgeann Manning said...

Fabulous masculine card! great colors too! ;)
Thanks for playing this weeks Stampin' Royalty Challenge!

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

Lots to love here ... so many wonderful layers & elements. I have missed popping by to visit ... But my dad’s sickness has been a big distraction over the last few weeks. I am looking forward to scrolling back through your recent posts and checking out your fab inspiration ... but won’t have time to comment on each! Thanks for all your special thoughts and prayers over recent days. Hugs xxaxx

inkedx2 said...

Love the color choice. Great use of the twine. Thanks for joining us this week at Hand Stamped Sentiments.

Robbie

Sandy said...

A great masculine card, love the image, have joined as a follower too
Sandy

Arielle ~ SnappyStamper said...

Jess, this is just beautiful! Thank you so much for joining us this week at the colourQ!

Aimes said...

What a fabulous masculine card! Loving the torn paper effect! I hope your Dad had a super 50th birthday!
Thanks for joining us on CASE study!
Hugs,
Aimes
x

Sylvia said...

What a great birthday card, Jess! Thanks for joining us at the ColourQ again this week.

LeAnne said...

Wow, what a great way to use these colors in a unique way! Thanks for playing the CQC with us this week!

Krista said...

Very nice card! I really like the way that you layered it and tore the edges. Thank you for sharing your art at Hand Stamped Sentiments.

Renée said...

love the layers of paper on the side with the torn edges, looks fab! thanks for playing at ColourQ :)

Anne Marie said...

Such a fabulous masculine card! I love the distressing, the torn edges and the criss-crossed twine. I'm sure your Dad will love it! Thanks so much for joining us at Hand Stamped Sentiments this week! :)

Yapha said...

What a great idea to use the branch and the grass from Eastern Blooms! Fabulous card! Thanks for playing at ColourQ!

Teneale Williams said...

How Clever are you! This card is amazing and I just love how you used Eastern Blooms. I love your spin on the CASEStudy challenge for this week, thanks for playing.

Andrea Ewen said...

What a fabulous CASE, Jess...the warm, rich colors and background text really adds to the charm! Great "guy" card, I know I never have enough of these cards! Awesome job, thanks for playing along with CASE Study challenges!